Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Has Started

While the Marshall Islands school year officially began on August 18th, Ejit started on Wednesday. We had a half day, then a full day. Today (It's Friday here) we cancelled school for the PTA meeting. More on that fiasco later.

All outer island volunteers are at their sites right now. Wotje got out without any trouble but Kili needed to try 3 times. The first time there was a bad storm in Kili and the second time they couldn't land because the runway had too much vegetation on it and the landing gear might have broken. The silver lining to this story is that we actually have a working plane. God willing it will stay up.

I've been spending a good amount of time in the MIR trading food purchases for wireless internet. Normally the cost is 10 cents a minute, but you can sit in the restaurant all day and pay nothing. All you have to do is buy something. My current post is from there.

We had our first PTA meeting and it was just as (even more?) painful as last year. There were drawn out speeches, there was drama, and I left in the middle to go to the bathroom and have a snack at my house. I don't really feel like writing everything that happened so if you're interested you can send me an e-mail and I'll answer. Or if you're my mom I'll tell you about it the next time we talk on the phone. (Hi mom)

On a fun note I've gone swimming with the kids a lot lately, and it's been a ton of fun. I feel a little bad for Kiersten because its her first year and she doesn't have the time to swim like I do. I'm helping her out when I can but the first quarter is always a mess.

I'll post again soon. (maybe)

No comments: